Science Mecca


Get a Voki now!

11.08.2009

Girls' Science day at Columbia University 11-07-09


Buliding our own ocean: Investigating currents and circulation




Does salt water float or sink?









Does cold water float or sink?




Water density is important for ocean circulation because dense water sinks.

Where is the Gulf Stream?
How does wind influence surface currents across the globe?
SUPER SLIMEY POLYMERS


What is a polymer? and How can we change the properties of a polymer?

Materials: glue, borax, and water




ICKY......






CHEMISTRY DEMONSTRATION



Polyurethane foam










Elephants' Toothpaste (hydrogen peroxide + potassium iodide + dish soap)







Chemiluminescient: hydrogen peroxide + chlorine


Magnesium buring in dry ice (carbon dioxide)

This energic reaction produces magnesium oxide and elemental carbon


PHYSICS DEMONSTRATION
50 pound pendulum

Air hose and ping-pong ball


Rotating Platform: inertia
Electricity
Hot and cold
Heating an object causes it to expand

Cooling an object causes it to contract


How many balloons can we fit in the bucket?


14 balloons!!!!


Bridge to Candybithia
Ojective: design and build a bridge using marshmallows and toothpicks that will be tested for the amount of weight it can support.
Beam, arch, or suspension bridge?








Which bridge was the strongest?






Mealworm Madness!!

Mealworm locomotion.
What type of surface will a mealworm prefer? sandpaper or cardboard?






What is a mealworm's habitat preference? light or dark areas?




Columbia University's Morningside Campus
Chemistry Buliding


Around campus......










Rose frozen in liquid nitrogen

Hydrogen gas is highly flammable!!!


Bottle Rocket Science


The amount of energy in a Gummy Bear!

Converting bond energy from a glucose molecule to heat/light energy using a Gummy Bear.

14 comments:

  1. This was an unforgettable day! Especially the Chemistry Demonstration,the nitrogen,the food, the meal worms, and the slime!My slime is now not the same any longer because it keeps on sweating.I really feel sorry for all the girls who couldn't come because this was such a great day! Columbia University I WILL COME BACK ONE DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna go! It's fun being a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. woah it looks awesome I regret not going now:( ! Is there other trips to go back to the Columbia University Ms. Lindsay or anyone that knows?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you guys, you really did miss out and Rahul don't you wish that there was a Boys science day? Christiana, I'm not sure if there is another one you have to wait until next year! Sorry =(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Well i was regretting that i closed my eyes when the last balloon popped because the flame was green. Now i actually got to see it because of the video! Thank you very much Mrs. Lindsay!!
    You made me feel better about that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there!
    Thania, seeing it on a video is not the same as seeing it LIVE! (same goes to the rest of you). By the way Rahul, I'm pretty sure there will be something special for the boys too like a "Boys Science Day" maybe? But come on, nothing could be better than our experience. It was the best trip ever! =) Anyway, they treated us really well there and I'm pretty sure everyone enjoyed the hands-on experiments and the demonstrations. Hopefully, everyone could have an experience like this someday! Sorry if you didn't go though, it was GREAT! (I just felt the need to boast.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i know how you feel alondra I regret going too;what other fun things did you do there thania.?


    - Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Thania and Tasnuva, I had a great time and it was a wonderful experience. We performed many experiments and met many graduate students who attend Columbia. My favorite experiment was the slime experiment, when I came home from the trip that night, and checked on it, it had air bubbles in it. Also the chemistry demonstration was awesome, my favorite part, was when the professor popped the balloons with each type of gas to show us what would happen. I hope we have another Girl's Science Day next year!!
    Hema R. 721

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats not fare. Why couldn't boys go. That looks ausome. So many explosions and its all thanks to science. Hooray for science. Mrs. Lindsay is there anyway that we can do things like that as our labe. That would be asoume. Do they have one of those trips for boys. FOr sure I will go no matter what. It looks so ausome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That looks really fun and I bet it was. If there is more trips i will ask my parents and at least try to go. Is there any trips during school days? That would be cool. =]

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really regret not going too! Rahul and Fernando, Mrs.Lindsay said there wold be a Boys Science Day also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I should have wore a wig and went. That looks so awesome! But i hope there is one for boys

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yusuf, Rahul, and Fernando should not be saying anything...because like Nalini said, there will be a Boys Science Day. Although, I would like to see Yusuf in a wig just for the laughs...I also regret going...i will definitly go to another experience like this...i won't miss out again...:(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to go but I couldn't. I also regret not going, it looked REALLY fun!! I hope there i another one.

    ReplyDelete